2019 Pisoni Estate Pinot Noir
FARMERS. WINEMAKERS. Members of the Pisoni Family work together, committed to growing exceptional grapes and crafting compelling wines from their vineyard in the Santa Lucia Highlands.
First planted by Gary Pisoni in 1982, and now managed by his son Mark, Pisoni Vineyards consists of small vineyard blocks arranged on and around the ridges of the mountainous landscape. Ranging in size from one-half to 17 acres, the vineyard blocks perch at an altitude of 1,300 feet in the granite-laced mountains of the coastal Santa Lucia Range.
The Pisoni Family produces essentially one wine per year under this label. The wine is a blend from several blocks on the Estate and is hand-crafted to best represent the vineyard and spirit of the Pisoni Family. Jeff Pisoni, Gary’s other son, is the winemaker for the Pisoni Estate wines. Total production ranges from 500 to 800 cases annually, depending on yield.
- One of the highest-elevation vineyards in the Santa Lucia Highlands: 1,300 feet
- Decomposed granite soil. High amounts of schist and quartz
- Heavy fog influence
- 36 planted acres with 30 individually farmed blocks or sub-blocks
- 100% sustainable farming
- Hand-farmed & hand-harvested
- Winter rainy season brought a moderate 15.2” of rainfall
- Cold front in February brought snow atop the Santa Lucia range
- Season started with a late budbreak, delayed by the cold
- Verasion was also late to start, but progressed fast with an onsetting warm spell
- Mild weather elongated our harvest from Sept 20 to Oct 16
- 2019 brought dense but fine tannins and wines built to age
- Hand Sorting
- 100% native-yeast fermentation
- 40% whole-cluster fermentation
- 100% French oak barrels: 62% new oak
- Minimal intervention is practiced
- Only natural settling of the wine is utilized: No use of fining or filtration
The result of another spectacular vintage in the Santa Lucia Highlands, the 2019 Pisoni Estate Pinot Noir harnesses each of the most desired characteristics from this legendary site in beautiful, delicious harmony. Concentrated aromas of crushed black cherry, fresh violets, and orange peel burst from the surface of this deep ruby colored wine and immediately fill the air. With time, savory notes of baking spice and black tea lure the senses. The high-elevation and granite-laden slopes of the vineyard produce intensely focused and pure flavors of spiced plum and strawberry compote, forming a delicate balance with intriguing notes of clove and damp earth. The prevailing winds and coastal fog create an unmistakable vibrancy in the wine. This refreshing acidity, paired with long, fine-grained tannin on the finish ensures that this wine will continue its stunning display well into the next decade.
- Mark & Gary Pisoni, Vineyard Managers
- Jeff Pisoni, Winemaker
- Alcohol: 14.1%
- Cases Produced: 780
- Bottled Date: September 15, 2020
- Release Date: September 2021