FARMERS. WINEMAKERS. Members of the Pisoni Family work together, committed to growing exceptional grapes and crafting compelling wines from their vineyard in the Santa Lucia Highlands.
First planted by Gary Pisoni in 1982, and now managed by his son Mark, Pisoni Vineyards consists of small vineyard blocks arranged on and around the ridges of the mountainous landscape. Ranging in size from one-half to 17 acres, the vineyard blocks perch at an altitude of 1,300 feet in the granite-laced mountains of the coastal Santa Lucia Range.
The Pisoni Family produces essentially one wine per year under this label. The wine is a blend from several blocks on the Estate and is hand-crafted to best represent the vineyard and spirit of the Pisoni Family. Jeff Pisoni, Gary’s other son, is the winemaker for the Pisoni Estate wines. Total production ranges from 500 to 800 cases annually, depending on yield.
- One of the highest-elevation vineyards in the Santa Lucia Highlands: 1,300 feet
- Decomposed granite soil. High amounts of schist and quartz
- Heavy fog influence
- 36 planted acres with 30 individually farmed blocks or sub-blocks
- 100% sustainable farming
- Hand-farmed & hand-harvested
- Winter rainfall of 8 inches-under average, but sufficient.
- Budbreak on March 15th
- Moderate spring and summer, with characteristic wind and fog.
- Slow vine growth, long veraison, slow steady ripening.
- Harvest September 13 - Oct 8th, block by block according to readiness.
- Hand Sorting
- 100% native-yeast fermentation
- 38% whole-cluster fermentation
- 100% French oak barrels: 68% new oak
- Minimal intervention is practiced
- Only natural settling of the wine is utilized: No use of fining or filtration
As if a gift from Mother Nature herself, the 2018 Pisoni Estate Pinot Noir was born from the rocky soils of Pisoni Vineyards in a magnificent growing season. Boasting a near-purple hue at its core, the tightly wound aromas leap from the glass when swirled. Violet, juicy plum and blackberry notes to weave together with more savory highlights of sage and graphite to form an intoxicating aromatic display. Perched atop 1,300 feet of decomposed granite soil, vines dig deep into the soil for nutrients, in turn providing fruit of intense, unparalleled concentration and structure. 100% native fermentation gently coaxes complex flavors of black cherry, rose petal, and clove, while a backbone of age-worthy acidity hints that this wine will cellar beautifully for twenty years.
- Mark & Gary Pisoni, Vineyard Managers
- Jeff Pisoni, Winemaker
- Alcohol: 14.1%
- Cases Produced: 730
- Bottled Date: August 16, 2019
- Release Date: September 2020