FARMERS. WINEMAKERS. Members of the Pisoni Family work together, committed to growing exceptional grapes and crafting compelling wines from their vineyard in the Santa Lucia Highlands.
First planted by Gary Pisoni in 1982, and now managed by his son Mark, Pisoni Vineyards consists of small vineyard blocks arranged on and around the ridges of the mountainous landscape. Ranging in size from one-half to 17 acres, the vineyard blocks perch at an altitude of 1,300 feet in the granite-laced mountains of the coastal Santa Lucia Range.
The Pisoni Family produces essentially one wine per year under this label. The wine is a blend from several blocks on the Estate and is hand-crafted to best represent the vineyard and spirit of the Pisoni Family. Jeff Pisoni, Gary’s other son, is the winemaker for the Pisoni Estate wines. Total production ranges from 500 to 800 cases annually, depending on yield.
- One of the highest-elevation vineyards in the Santa Lucia Highlands: 1,300 feet
- Decomposed granite soil. High amounts of schist and quartz
- Heavy fog influence
- 36 planted acres with 30 individually farmed blocks or sub-blocks
- 100% sustainable farming
- Hand-farmed & hand-harvested
- Third consecutive dry winter: 4.5”rain
- Mild, dry winter led to early budbreak
- Warm temperatures during flowering led to a great fruit set, requiring much fruit to be dropped
- Drier summer conditions led to further stressing of vines and more concentration
- Cool August leading up to harvest
- Yields above average
- Harvest dates: September 1st - 17th
- Hand sorting
- 100% native-yeast fermentation
- 24% whole-cluster fermentation
- Selective French-oak barrels; 61% new oak; 11 months aging in barrel
- No racking
- No fining
- No filtering
The 2014 season gave us a beautiful combination of freshness and structure in the Pisoni Estate Pinot Noir. It is rich and vibrant, with a deep crimson red color and bouquet of violets and rose petals with underlying fresh Santa Rosa plums, boysenberries and pomegranate. This was a dry year producing thorough development of the berries, yielding velvety and approachable tannins with a long finish. It is a blend of select vineyard blocks of varying age and characteristics that give additional depth to the palate. This wine will be great for cellaring from mid to long-term.
- Mark & Gary Pisoni, Vineyard Managers
- Jeff Pisoni, Winemaker
- Alcohol: 14.1%
- Cases Produced: 780 (9L case equiv.)
- Bottled Date: August 9th, 2015
- Release Date: September 2016